Have you ever heard of “outplacement”? Learn more about this term and advantages of this concept.
Good time of the day, dear readers of “Motivational-tips”!
Thanks to you I always learn something new. Looking for new topics, I don’t simply nurture your brain with new information, but also examine the notions that were previously new to me.
For example, the topic of today’s article is outplacement – the term not so well-known in our country. To get more updates, subscribe to our email-delivery!
Do we really need outplacement?
I think you will agree that, comparing to Ukraine and Russia, Europe and USA have significantly progressed in the matters of work etiquette.
The countries of post-soviet area are still at sea in the sphere of their hired workers’ rights protection, civilized firing, social guarantees and so on.
The existence of Trade union makes the situation even more ridiculous.
This is the most useless organization with tons of employees who groundlessly receive high salaries, sit in cozy armchairs and even don’t raise a finger to care of workers’ rights.
Malicious uncontrolled employers feel OK to…
- fire workers without any obvious reasons (who cares for outplacement);
- reduce personnel by dismissing pregnant women. Of course, who’d like to pay decree leaves!
- set the working hours they need without additional payments for overtimes;
- make their subordinates work 7 days in a row;
- leave working conditions at the primeval level and so on.
Hired employees, deprived of any protection from the state, bear it all submissively fearing the most horrible thing – firing.
Economical crisis that keeps shaking our country unleashed shameless employers: mass firing and reductions became a usual thing.
The leaders of the company don’t care for the good name of their organization that’s why fired people are often treated low-down: they are humiliated, not given their dismissal pay, not explained the reasons of their firing and so on.
In the USA an unfairly fired worker would appeal to the court where he would get a considerable compensation.
Understanding the hopelessness of this venture, our compatriots are apt only to take minor vengeance on their ex-bosses.
They can report to the fiscal service about illegal wages in the envelopes, complain every Tom, Dick, and Harry about the malicious nature of these exes, share confidential information with their business rivals, steal important files, infect computers with viruses and so on.
All in all, neither the boss nor the fired worker have much to enjoy.
The developed countries made relevant conclusions and decided to farewell with their employees respectfully and with a mutual benefit.
What is outplacement and where does it come from?
«Love what you do. If you haven’t found it, keep looking. Don’t settle.»
The term outplacement is used by managers and HRs and explains itself: “firing with the further employment”.
Besides providing the ex-worker with a new cushy post, outplacement includes:
- consulting support of the executives concerning the seamless dismissal of their worker;
- analyzing professional qualities of the fired employee in order to find him a perfectly suitable job;
- psychological assistance aimed to support the professional that is temporarily unemployed;
- direct help with a job-search and its components: concluding a resume, preparing for an interview, providing advice regarding probation period and so on.
Of course, such assistance isn’t for free.
The company reducing the staff (but not the workers) is paying for that.
These are actually the obligations of outplacement and recruiting companies.
In western companies the models of civilized parting with ex-subordinates were first used in late 90-s.
For two decades they had been so improved and polished that our local bosses could have ready principles of outplacement on a plate and simply include them to their menu.
But the thickheaded high and mighty still prefer to spit on people from their Mercedes windows not understanding what harm they do to their own firms.
Key advantages of outplacement
Directors unwilling to learn this new term and preferring to act as they used lose a lot.
These reactionaries simply don’t understand the benefits of applying civilized models of staff reduction and dismissal established in the whole progressive world.
The advantages of outplacement:
- It saves some nerves not only of the fired employee, but also those of his boss.
- Thanks to outplacement you can avoid court trials and, consequently, useless expenditures.
- It allows maintaining good relations with the fired worker: who knows under which circumstances you can meet him in the future.
- It creates a good reputation for the company at the labour market and guarantees an incessant line of very valuable employees ready to work for it.
- It helps to avoid of spreading of trade secrets and confidential information by an offended worker.
Besides, you shouldn’t forget about the psychological aspect.
Who knows what a desperate person deprived of the only source of income can do.
A turned upside-down office of the company-offender, beating or even murdering the director, committing a suicide…
These scenes are not from the movies, but from real life.
Also read: Reasons of dismissal
Why is outplacement still alien to Russia and Ukraine?
I put this question to my acquaintance Alina who works for a recruitment agency.
It turned out they had an outplacement specialist, but he wasn’t in high demand.
His only clients were big international companies used to the polite parting with their workers.
In Alina’s opinion, the main reasons for such weird behaviour of the employers consists in the following:
- Why spend money on an ex-worker? let him solve all his problems by himself!
- I don’t care for other people. Only I and my thick wallet matter.
- Primitiveness and retardation of working methods.
- Careless attitude to the future.
- Obliviousness regarding outplacement.
Dear company executives!
Please, don’t repeat the mistakes of your reactionary colleagues, but instead – use outplacement when forced to fire your employees. Learn how to say good-bye politely.
Useful article? Do not miss the new!
Enter e-mail and receive new articles in mail